Sunday, April 19, 2015

Poetry Packet


Poetry Packet

Haiku’s

The waterfalls flows
With drops dripping
Plop plop plop

The blossom’s unique
Not like others
It shine brightly

An endless path
Leaves are everywhere
Autumn has come

Reflection: In class we were supposed to bring in photos of nature. I brought different photos such as a picture of a waterfall, picture of a blossom, and a path surrounded by leaves. Each were then turned into a Haiku.

The Tree

The forest is peaceful.
Not a person in sight.
The forest is quiet.
All seems right.
As dawn rises the wind blows.
Where the wind blows is
Where my leaves go.
I stands out on top
Of the rock.
I stand out of top
Of the world.
I shine out in the morning light.
I am the only thing in sight.
Everything is right.
Peaceful.

Reflection: This poem was another poem based on a picture. Instead of making a Haiku I made a free verse poem about a tree from my photo.

Sonnet 
The boy and the girl run together on hills, 
They lay together next to a big stream, 
Their love is important like gills to fish,  
But the boy remembers it all just a dream. 
In the boy's dream the girl looks and smiles, 
The girl smiles at the beauty of the sea,  
She thinks she might stay here for a while, 
But the boy remembers its a mystery. 
The boy wants to travel memory lane, 
But all he sees is the girl with some gray,  
The accident is a black dot, a stain, 
The boy wants to go back to the old days,  
The boy knows the girl as a memory, 
He just wants to say to her stay with me.
 
 Reflection: I was having trouble making a sonnet at first but soon put a few rhymes together and made a story with 10 syllables in each line. 
 
Reading response on heart poem 
 
               My heart poem was Another Sonnet For Stephen by Alvin Lester Sitoner. My first introduction to Another Sonnet For Stephen was in Ms Galang's poetry packet. I choose the poem because it stood out to me and seemed different from the other poems. The poem also reminded me of life and how time can just fly by. 
               The poem is mainly about two people growing up with each other. The first part of the sonnet is about the narrator describing a little boy who makes him happy and who likes to hang out with him. "I see a little boy of four or five, whose face lights up whenever we would play." (Lines 1 and 2). This shows how the narrator and the boy knew each other when they were young. The second part of the sonnet is about the narrator watching the boy as a college youth that is described as smart and successful. "I see a college youth who goes to Penn, Strong and handsome, smart in mind and dress." (Lines 5 and 6). The third part of the sonnet is about the youth who is now a successful and wealthy man that is sick. "With nonchalance, with skill and unique poise, while fighting back attackers of his health," (lines 11 and 12). Finally the last part of the sonnet is about the man gone now. "The boy,  the youth, and the man are gone now." (Line 13). This shows how the narrator knew this man all through his life. 
               In the sonnet there seems to be a heart lifting tone at the beginning but towards the end there seems to be a depressing tone. At the beginning lines like "Whose face lights up whenever we would play." make the poem seem heart lifting. Towards the end of the sonnet lines likes "The boy, the youth, the man are each now gone." make the poem seem depressing at the end. The poem seems to be sending a message saying that life can be good at first but towards the end may seem sad and gloomy. 
               In conclusion I chose this poem because it looked unique from other poems. The poem talks about life in a good and bad way. Overall the poem talks about how time can fly by. 


No comments:

Post a Comment